Orange County, it was the 1980’s. There was a local Haagen-Dazs store. It smelled like heaven dressed in dark red and white. Come Sunday night it was a go-to when the DMV bestowed yours truly with a driver’s license. The question was how many under-aged teenagers could I pile in my Mazada? I fly, you buy, was the motto.
Sadly, the retail establishment came and went. It’s departure compelled a multitude of local cohorts to go into mourning. Come now, a fresh Haagen-dazs Vanilla Chocolate Chip in a Waffle Cone with whip cream and hot fudge. It was lifeblood to ward off teenage angst. Off the record, it is perhaps how I made it through my teen years. My sweet Mama thanks you Haagen-Dazs. From the bottom of her heart.
So, when the folks at Haagen-Dazs asked me to sample a few flavors, then post a recipe. I was all-in, totally committed, at the word “sample”, I owed them as much.
Today I bring you an end of summer Haagen-Dazs moment. A tropical banana split, with three flavors, pineapple coconut, vanilla and strawberry. Macadamia nuts provided by me. It is an ode to a summer’s innocence long ago.
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1½ tablespoons powder sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extraxt
- 2 ripe bananas
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1 scoop Vanilla Haagen-Dazs ice cream
- 1 scoop Strawberry Haagen-Dazs ice cream
- 1 scoop Coconut Pineapple Haagen-Dazs ice cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts
- Combine the cream sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl and whip until the cream holds medium peaks.
- Arrange the bananas in a serving bowl. Add the three scoops of Haagen-Dazs ice cream. Spoon the pineapple, strawberries on top. Top with whipped cream and chopped macadamia nuts.
If you can find a fresh waffle cup or cone, you will enter ice cream mecca carrying the gold metal.
For those who wish for a little more chocolate in their frozen treat, I strongly recommend Haagen-Dazs chocolate with a few chocolate chips and Oreo cookie. My kids have a hunch it will proudly be a medal finalist as well.
Thank you Haagen-Dazs for being my go-to ice cream for the last 25 years. I have never cheated on you and I will never leave you. You are my favorite.
Wait there is more! Haagen-dazs has a 50 Summer Moments Photography e-book that will be available for free download at the end of September. And get this, for every download, Haagen-Dazs will donate $5 to Honey Bee research at the University of Davis. This is the second reason why I love Haagen-Dazs so much. Those hard working honey bees need ALL the help they can get right now. Here are a few of my #HDmoments I submitted to Haagen-Dazs this past summer. We’ll see if they are selected to the e-book. Let’s do it for the bees!