Coffee cake is spectacular stuff, especially along side a strong brew of coffee. A few local coffee houses do a pretty darn good job making them. A coffee cake with a crumb top that melts in your mouth is a sugar rush to crave. While a cinnamon swirl coffee cake dusted with powdered sugar cannot and should never be marginalized.
How about we marry the two today with a Cinnamon Swirl Crumb Cake.
If it divine sugar rush stuff.
Ingredients for the Cake:
Blend the wet and dry gently, no over mixing friends.
Pour 1/2 of batter into your pan. Sprinkle with half of your cinnamon sugar. Top with half of remaining batter. Using knife, cut through batter to swirl cinnamon mixture.
Time for the crumble:
Big crumbs are good. Very good.
Bake, cool and serve it up.
Be sure to grab one before they’re gone. Don’t forget your coffee.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- CRUMB TOPPING
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and still warm
- 1¾ cups cake flour
- FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING: Whisk sugars, cinnamon, salt, and butter in medium bowl to combine. Add flour and stir with rubber spatula or wooden spoon until mixture resembles thick, cohesive dough; set aside to cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes.
- FOR THE CAKE: In a bowl whisk together the flour, the baking powder, and a pinch of salt and in another bowl stir together the sour cream and the baking soda. In a large bowl cream together the butter and 1 cup of the granulated sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy, add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and beat in the vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream mixture and stir the batter until it is combined well. Pour the batter into a buttered 10-inch round cake pan. In a small bowl stir together ⅓ cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, and the cinnamon and swirl the sugar mixture into the batter. Add crumb topping loosely.
- Bake the cake in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean, transfer it to a rack, and let it cool.